Detailed product advice email strategies help optimize your online customer experience and drive business results through your email efforts. This shows that as an e-commerce professional, any email you send to potential customers has more influence than you think. 59% of consumers say that marketing emails will influence their purchasing decision.
Before you panic, don’t worry: e-commerce is an ever-evolving industry, and there are many new and innovative ways to stand out from the billions of other emails to attract your customers.
Personalized product advice emails effectively increase customer engagement, clickthrough rates and generate more online revenue. We created this guide to help e-commerce professionals implement better personalized strategies through email marketing.
When Amazon, the holy grail of e-commerce, began showing product advice to browsing shoppers in the early 2000s, it revolutionized the way we shop. The actual browser. Real-time behavioral data. It is reported that nearly one-third of Amazon’s revenue is generated through personalized work alone.
This personalization trend has changed the way other e-commerce sites use data to drive customer engagement. Although Amazon may be a fierce competitor for small and medium-sized businesses, wise product advice(as opposed to general recommendations) is now what online buyers expect. Product recommendations, if done correctly, can be so successful that they can bring back past shoppers.
56% of online shoppers say they are more likely to return to a website that provides personalized product recommendations. No wonder personalized product advice is shown to increase conversion rates by 150% and increase the median order value by 50%.
If we learn anything from Amazon’s incredible success, it’s that you don’t need high-quality graphics or fancy designs to drive more online sales. Data-driven personalization may be the key to increasing revenue.
Why personalized product advice works when used appropriately:
An email is a great tool that can generate a lot of revenue and help restore lost traffic. To make your email marketing relevant, you need to improve the message as much and as often as possible. The only way to increase conversion and retention rates through email is to first look at the two key indicators of email marketing success: open rate and click rate. Open rate is directly related to deliverability and subject line. The clickthrough rate is related to the content of the email. Here is where the miracle happens. If your email content is relevant to buyers, you will get an excellent clickthrough rate. Include unique personalized content in your email, and buyers will click on your email and return to your website. Traffic on your website will suddenly increase, leading to an increase in sales. Ask yourself: Is this email relevant to everyone? Is the buyer still generic and too broad? Does my email match every part of the user’s behavior, or are they just a comprehensive solution for all website traffic?” It’s not enough to send generic emails to all buyers. So, how do you use product advice to make your emails attractive and relevant to every buyer?
Personalized product advice in email can increase clickthrough rates by 300% or more.
A higher clickthrough rate means a higher conversion probability and more website traffic. The idea is that the more options you provide to buyers via email, the more likely they are to click! Your clickthrough rate has increased.
Personalized product advice is a great way to make email content relevant, engaging, and clickable. It is why providing personalized product advice to the right buyers can be the key to transforming your online business.
The secret to increasing sales is through product advice emails:
When using product advice in your email campaigns, it’s important to remember that the purpose of the product advice is to interact with buyers in a personalized way. You’re not just trying to fill space and hope for the best. Get true personalization through product recommendations and use different algorithms for different activities. Each campaign targets a diverse user base and displays data-driven content that attracts buyers.
It might sound complicated, but it is not entirely rocket science.
Let us take you through some steps.
Determine the user segmentation on your site and then customize the content for each user in the email sent. To get the most significant impact, set up five action activities. Each email will be related to each buyer.
Recommendations for user segmentation of homepage browsers:
Buyers that browse your homepage but never go further on your website. Just like window shoppers. The product advice algorithm displays the combination of the bestsellers and recent bestsellers on the site.
Recommendations organized by category browser user:
Product recommendation algorithms for shoppers who click and view a specific category, brand, or department but never see a particular product. Show product recommendations in the category the shopper is browsing, considering the bestsellers in this category.
Recommendations for product browser user segmentation:
These are the product recommendation algorithms for shoppers who see specific individual products on your website but don’t add any of these products to their shopping cart. It shows the shopper the exact product and then inserts a combination of product-related bestsellers and category-related bestsellers as an up/down sales strategy.
Suggestions for site search browsers:
These shoppers entered search terms in the search navigation of their site but did not continue to view categories, products, or add anything to their shopping carts. Show categories related to searches performed by the buyer.
Recommendations for abandoning the shopping cart:
These shoppers even add products to the shopping cart! This only accounts for about 5% of website traffic, so if they have already done this, it’s worth trying to get them back!
Product recommendation algorithm:
This shows the actual shopping cart left by the buyer, which contains the products they added. Go to their shopping cart and insert the best-selling products related to the category as an up/down sales strategy.
You already know which products to recommend for each campaign, and here’s a checklist to make sure your email looks as good as it does.
- Use large, high-quality images for each product to attract buyers to view more content. Use different algorithms in real-time for each user segmentation based on browser behavior to ensure that recommendations are relevant to your buyers.
- Use multiple recommendation algorithms in emails to increase clickthrough rates (i.e., display a row of bestsellers + a row of related products). Ensure to send only one email to each buyer that matches their furthest point in the shopping funnel. (That is, the buyer views a category, then a specific product, but then abandons it. The buyer should only receive abandonment emails from product discovery, electronic devices that activate them from the homepage, category, and other email activity Excluded).
4 Advanced tips and tricks for using personalized product advice in emails
- In the product browsing abandonment emails, you can display three different types of recommendations to increase the clickthrough rate. Show a row of recommendations related to the product, the second row of recommendations related to the category, and the last row of the best-selling products on the entire site.
- Use the email sequence to interact with buyers and change the suggestions in the message in your series. For shopping cart abandonment emails, the first email should contain closely related recommendations to the abandoned items. In the second email in the sequence, expand the suggestion a little bit to stimulate buyers who may be less interested in the specific product they gave up but are still willing to buy on your website. Keep the content the same in the third email, but change the suggestion to reflect the recent bestsellers.
- When optimizing email for mobile devices, make sure your suggestions are responsive. If your desktop layout displays three products in a row, your mobile design should stack each product on top of the following product instead of just shrinking the row. It makes the product image stand out, causing clicks.
- Display products by hiding prices and displaying large product pictures to maintain the interest and interest of top buyers. It will increase the clickthrough rate because it makes buyers feel intrigued, so they click back to your website. After testing, in some cases, simply deleting the price increased the clickthrough rate by 37%, while in other cases, deleting the title had an impact.
Intelligently interact with buyers via email like Amazon.
Personalized product recommendations are a great way to personalize every email experience for every buyer on your website. Now that we have lifted the mystery of implementing personalized product advice emails, you can interact with your shoppers more effectively via email like Amazon.
Follow these tips and tricks to create an effective product advice email and retargeting method. Retargeting potential customers and old customers is necessary to maintain a stable sales flow.
After all, sales are critical to maintaining bottom-line profitability and keeping the business running.